Thursday, October 15, 2015

Grilled flatbread homemade pizza



I was on a pizza kick -  bang in the middle of summer - when it was too hot to even look at my oven. So, I went about searching a grilled pizza recipe. Pinterest, as usual, had tons. I found a basic recipe here. It worked great. I left the dough out in my backyard under the blazing Texas sun and it rose beautifully. 

Next, I lightly floured my work surface, kneaded the dough just a little bit and rolled it out to about 1/2 or 1/4 inch thick. Be warned, you will need to keep flouring your dough as you roll it out or it will stick. 

Keep your toppings ready in little bowls so you're not scrambling when the dough is done. There's no messing around when you're around a grill because things can easily go from gorgeous grill marks to EWWWW it's burnt in seconds. Yeah, I've been there.

Slap the pizza dough on a screaming hot stovetop grill pan and brush with some olive oil and cook it on both sides, about 3-4 minutes. Flip the dough once you see bubbles form like the last picture. Cook on other side for another 3-4 minutes and then add sauce, toppings and cheese and cover the grill pan with foil or another large pan. Turn OFF the heat. If you leave the heat running, the bottom side of the dough will burn. The residual heat is enough to just melt the cheese. 

Top with fresh herbs and DEVOUR!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...