I was shopping around in Costco and what was right there staring at me in the face? A big 2lb bag of Quinoa. Now I usually don't buy items I've never tried before in bulk but this time I was feeling the love and picked up the bag. And so far it's not disappointed.
I've really only tried one dish- Quinoa Upma but it's captured both my stomach and taste buds so it's a regular at our house now.
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- grated ginger 1 tsp
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 serrano chilli or more if you like your heat
- 1 green pepper (or any other pepper) diced
Add any other vegetable like potato, sweet potato, zuchinni.... sky's the limit.
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cups water or veggie stock
- handful of cilantro chopped
- Dry roast 1 cup of Quinoa till it turns light brown and starts to smell a little nutty.
- Sautee onions, ginger, green chilli in a bit of oil till onions are translucent
- Add the curry and cumin powder and continue to sautee
- Add all the chopped veggies in order of the time it takes to cook.. eg. add potatoes and carrots in the beginning and peas towards the very end.
- Add the roasted quinoa and water
- Cover and let cook for 25 minutes on medium heat.
- At the very end add the frozen peas and cilantro. Fluff the quinoa with a fork. It should look transparent else it needs to cook a bit more.
- Serve warm (I like mine with ketchup or a bit of sourcream!)