Friday, October 15, 2010

Black Bean Burgers

Black Beans is one of those things I always keep in the pantry. I mostly use it in chillis  or the black-bean and corn salad, or a  black bean paste that I use on my Mexi Pizza.


Last night I thought of another use- burgers! It's a super easy recipe that does not compromise on taste. I based it off a recipe I saw on Epicurious.






Black Bean Burgers:


Ingredients:



* 1 15- to 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
* 1/3 cup chopped red onion
* 1/2 cup dry breadcumbs- make your own or storebought
* 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup bottled chunky salsa
* 1 teaspoon cumin seeds or ground cumin
* Cilantro, chopped fine


Method:

1.  Using fork, mash beans in medium bowl. 

2.  Mix in onion, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons salsa, cumin and cilantro.  I threw in all the ingredients and mixed with my hands! Easier that way :-)

3.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. I completely skipped the salt because I find the salt is plenty in the canned beans and salsa. 

3. Using moistened hands, shape bean mixture into two 3- to 4-inch-diameter patties.


4. Grease the bottom of a non stick pan with some cooking spray or a bit of canola oil. 

5. Cook the patties for 3 minutes on each side

Serve on a bun with your choice of condiments and oven roasted fries!! In my case it was hot sauce and ranch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...