Thursday, September 1, 2011

Raspberry Peach Buttermilk Loaf



When I'm on a roll it's hard to stop.

It felt like that yesterday which started off baking the Nutella cookies even before I was finished with my cup of Timmys coffee. No I wasn't crazy, I just wanted to get the baking started as quick as possible before it hit a billion degrees outside. I had put off baking all summer (for the most part) because of the crazy heat but no more. The cookies were the beginning.

I came across this beautiful Raspberry Buttermilk cake on foodgawker and it immediately caught my attention. I only had about half a cup of raspberries but I had other seasonal fruit begging to be consumed in the fridge. And I had buttermilk. And I was baking cookies which meant the oven would be on anyway.....which meant... you get the idea.

This is a really really easy recipe that it's quite shocking how something so easy can taste so good. But I'm not kidding. You just have to try it to believe it. I turned the original recipe that was a cake into a loaf and made a few other modifications. The end result was amazingly light, fruity and delicious.

You'll see... y'know when you make it. ;-)

[Original recipe adapted from smittenkitchen]

Ingredients:

 - 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup cut fresh peaches
-  3/4 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup ground oats (whole oats ground up in a food processor)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup well shaken buttermilk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp lemon zest (optional)


Directions: 

1.  In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ground up oats). Sifting the AP flour ensures there are no lumps.

2.  In another mixing bowl,  cream butter and sugar for a few minutes. 

3.  Add the egg and vanilla and continue to beat the mixture for a minute. I use a regular ol hand mixer and it works fine for all my baking purposes. 

4.  Add the buttermilk and mix together with a whisk. 

5.  Next, add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in thirds, stirring with a wooden spoon just until combined. Do not overmix. 

6.  Pour the dough into a loaf pan and decorate with the pretty berries. I bet this recipe will work great with blueberries too.. In fact I think the contrast between raspberries and blueberries will look stunning. 
If any of you out there try with a different fruit, let me know.. I'd love to see pictures.


7.  Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until the center is cooked. Use a fork or a toothpick to test. 

8. Allow to cool before popping out of loaf pan and devouring. 

I love the texture of the gritty ground up oats and the fresh fruit is really really good. 




All that's left a day later are crumbs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...