This particular dish is so satisfying especially on a cold evening when soup just doesn't cut it. You want something more "meaty". The origin of this recipe started out by one of my "imaginary" friends (LOL) - from a running forum I hang out on - as Lentil Tacos but I added my own spin on it and converted them into Enchiladas. They go really well with Guacamole recipe I posted earlier.
You will need -
- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils
- a jar of your favourite salsa- I like Trader Joes Hot salsa
- 2 stalks celery (optional)
- 1 can corn (optional)
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp Taco seasoning
- 1 jar Enchilada sauce - I use Trader Joes Enchilada Sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Jack/cheddar cheese
1. Cook the lentils in a pot or pressure cooker. Cooking them in stock adds more flavour but water will do just fine too.
2. Sautee onions and garlic and taco seasoning for 5 minutes over medium heat. When they are soft, add the cooked lentils and salsa until fully combined. Add as much or as little salsa as you like. Let it simmer till the lentil mixture is a bit thick and not too watery. This makes it easier to stuff into the wrap without it falling apart.
3. Warm the tortillas on a dry pan till soft- no oil needed, just warm them through. Usually takes a couple minutes on each side.
4. Spoon a a couple heaping table spoons of the lentil mixture into the centre of the tortilla. You could add a spoon of canned corn or finely diced celery for some additional flavour.
5. Roll to form a burrito.
6. Place the burritos in a baking dish. Pour some enhiclada sauce at the bottom of the dish and over the top of burritos.
7. Top with Jack cheese or a Mexican blend of cheeses.
8. Bake at 360°F for 20 minutes.
7. Serve with a side of Guacamole or sour cream.
Healthy and Satisfying!!!!!!