Thursday, March 25, 2010

Time for a Dessert Doodle (and it's a good one too)

Ok this time I'll spare the rambling and get right to it.... drum roll......... pipes playing....... more drums.....

C H E E S E C A K E !!!!!!!!




If you know me, you will know that I'm not much of a sweets kinda gal. I'd pick fries over icecream any day. There are very few desserts (both Indian and non-Indian) that I am partial to and have a hard time turning down. Cheesecake is one of them. Tiramisu is another. Today it's about The Cheesecake. I made my first cheesecake in 2002 and haven't looked back since. It's based off a recipe I found on Allrecipes but has tips incorporated from watching all those food shows.

- Sometimes I add lemon zest;

- One time I added canned pineapple and that was the biggest mistake ever. DO NOT add fruit of any kind to the actual batter... it changes the consistency.


- Bake the cake in a water bath. The end result is way way way smoother.

- Eggs and butter NEED to be at room temperature.

- Allow the cake to chill overnight if you can before you dig your fork into it.

- Pour the batter in a parchment lined pan with some of the paper hanging out. That way you can pull the cake out of the pan with ease.

- You can get creative with toppings- blueberry jelly, fresh raspberries and raspberry jelly, fresh strawberries. I've even used fresh kiwi once and it tasted fantastic!

- If you feel guilty (that's only IF) about eating a whole slice of cake at a time, and opt for more waistline-friendly portion, cheesecake squares are a good way of achieving this. Same cheesecake, cut into squares when cooled. Do not use a serrated knife when cutting.

Feel free to give it a try and give me your tips on how to improve on this. I've still not made the perfect cheesecake in my opinion.

New York Style Cheesecake

Ingredients:

* 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
* 2 Tablespoons white sugar
* 1/4 cup melted butter
* 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened - I use a little over one package
* 1/2 cup sour cream

* 1/2 cup white sugar

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 eggs
* zest of one lemon (optional)
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)




Directions:
Combine crumbs, 2 tablespoons sugar and butter. Pat mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan, or a glass baking dish lined with parchment paper.

Bake at 325 F for 12 minutes and allow to cool completely before pouring in the filling.




Mash cream cheese until soft and creamy. Gradually beat in sour cream, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla and flour. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add in the lemon zest and lemon juice.




Pour mixture into crumb-lined pan. Bake in a preheated 325 degree F (165 degrees C) oven for 35-40 minutes.


Cool and then remove cake from pan by loosening edges with a knife.

Place cut fruit fruit on top of cake. Chill 4-6 hours or overnight (preferably) before cutting and serving.

Optional- Dust with powdered sugar to up the WOW factor!

So there you have it- one of my all time favourite desserts! Now you know what you can make me if I come over to your place for dinner. :-P

2 comments:

  1. I HAVE to send you my blueberry topping for cheesecakes! It's AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remind me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...