Thursday, October 7, 2010

Homemade Paneer

This weekend I ended up with a gallon of whole milk. 

Now I don't even remember the last time I went to the store to buy whole milk.. I made the last possible switch there is from 1% to Organic skim few months ago. I knew the dessert possibilities were endless so I quickly made a generous bowlful of carrot halwa- mildly sweet with a touch of cardamom and vanilla and raisins sauteed in clarified butter. The next day while talking to my mom, the first thing she asked me when I told her my whole milk story, was why not make paneer? Another project and the reward was not terrible either. I've always wanted to make paneer from scratch but just like the Tiramisu, it's been avoiding me all along. Not today!

I followed the paneer recipe from one of my favourite blogs so it doesn't make sense to type it all out here again. 


You really just need three ingredients-  

1) Whole Milk
2) Distilled vinegar or lemon juice
3) VIVA paper towels (or cheesecloth if you want to get all fancy)

Stage 1 - curdling of milk after adding vinegar



                                                                      Cheese separated and allowed to cool slightly



Cheese and Whey seprated



                                                  Cheese after pressed under a heavy object like a brick or fruit bowl ;)




Final dish that highlighted the paneer: Aloo Matar Paneer (Potato Peas Paneer)-




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...