I had a bunch of fresh spinach in the fridge that needed to be used and I was bored with my usual spinach creations like keera kootu or palak paneer. I recall watching Giada make a spinach pesto on TV sometime back and thought why not. I had pizza dough thawing on the counter and I was already mentally checking off all the ingredients one would need for a pesto prepation. I also imagined it would take less than 10 minutes to conjure up. PIzza with homemade spinach pesto! Friday night dinner!
- 2 cups fresh spinach, washed
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts (pine nuts if you have them but dang, they're expensive!)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- (optional) few basil leaves
1. Toss everything in the food processor and blend to a thick consistency
I have a mini food processor that doesn't allow me to stream in the olive oil, which is technically how you make pesto. But hey, the end result turned out fantastic so maybe it doesn't really matter?
2. Adjust seasoning to taste.
The varieties are endless... use on crackers, dip for veggies, topping for pizza, toss with pasta.......
I had mine on pizza with a nice cold glass of Rosé.