Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Savoury Semolina Cake






I must say the second I saw this post on "From My Heart", I knew it wouldn't take me long to try it out.  We eat Rava upma on a fairly regular basis at home and on first reading this wasn't a far cry from it but just adventurous enough that you have to give it a try.   Before going any further I needed to figure out  if Rava and Semolina were the same thing. A quick look at wiki told me that they were the same thing so I was on the right track.

I read through the post and it turned out I had all the ingredients.  So there,  one day that I didn't have to sing my "what's for dinner" song. LOL. We would have to manage with spicy pickle and yogurt.. no fresh chutneys but I bet it would taste amazing with some spicy coriander/mint chutney. Or tomato thokku.


It's really a very simple recipe.. all of maybe 10 minutes prep time and 30 minutes in the oven.  Cut it up into cute little squares and it makes a really good appetizer for a party.  Or if you really want to push the envelope,  make it into little muffins. How cute would that be right?


[Taken from From My Heart]


Ingredients:
-  Semolina-1 cup
-  Yogurt- 1 cup (greek or regular)
-  Water- 1cup
-  Mixed Frozen Veggies- 1 cup
-  1 Onion finely chopped
-  1" Ginger piece chopped 

-  1 Green chilli  chopped
-  1/2 tsp Red chili powder
-  1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
-  Salt
-  2 Tbsp vegetable oil
-  5-6 Curry leaves torn
-  1 tsp Cumin seeds
-  1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
-  1/2 tsp Baking soda
-  1/2 tsp Baking powder
-  2 Tbsp Sesame seeds- (black will look beautiful but I only had white)



Directions
1.  Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees


2.  Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.


3.  In a large mixing bowl, mix together semolina,  baking soda, baking powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, veggies (frozen and onion), green chilli, and yogurt.


4.  Add water to make a batter.


5.  In a small sautee pan, add oil. When the oil is hot , add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.


6.  Add this oil in the batter. 


7.  Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.


8.  Bake for 35-40 minutes


9.  Serve hot with coriander chutney and/or tomato thokku. I settled for ketchup  and homemade spicy pickle and yogurt on the side. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...