Sunday, October 23, 2011

Lemon Sevai (Rice Noodles) with scallions



Sevai
- or Rice noodle dish is very common in South Indian homes. It's pretty bland by itself (like rice) but you can season and make it so many different ways.  The two most common ways are lemon sevai and thenga sevai (coconut based).  

Recently I don't know what possessed me but I went out and bought two big packages of these rice noodles. There they were sitting in the pantry taunting me. I make a lot of pasta but not really rice noodles.. no particular reason just didn't. So I used the entire first package in an Oriental stirfry application  (too busy eating to take pictures .. I made a mental note to take some next time so I can share with y'all).

And then yesterday it struck me, why not make some like how mom makes it. I had a hot pot of rasam simmering away on the back burner and this seemed like a nice and light compliment to the rasam. I just recalled the taste and made this really without any recipe. Yes, I gave myself a pat on the back for that.

This is how I made it...

Ingredients:

-  1/2 package of rice noodles (about 8 oz)
-  1/2 tsp turmeric
-  1 lemon
-  3 stalks of scallions, chopped 
-  1 green chilli chopped

Seasoning: 

-  2 tsp vegetable oil
-  1/2 tsp mustard seeds
-  1/2 tsp channa dal  (yellow split lentils)
-  6-7 curry leaves

Directions:

1)  Boil 4-5 cups of water in a kettle or on the stovetop

2)  When water reaches a boil, pour it over the rice noodles in a large stainless steel or heat resistent bowl. The hot water will cook the noodles. This takes about 4 minutes.

3)  Drain the noodles and set aside.

4)  In a large skillet, heat 2 tsp of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the channa dal, green chilli and curry leaves. When the channa dal turns golden brown, add the mustard seeds and they will immediately start popping. 

5)  Add the turmeric and let it cook for a minute in the oil. 

6)  Add the noodles and toss until it evenly becomes yellow.  Add in the scallions and mix well.

7) Turn off the heat and add the juice of the lemon and toss again.  Season with salt to taste. 




4 comments:

  1. nicely done! i am definitely going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks awesome Deepa! garnishing with toasted walnuts and/or pumpkin seeds will make it richer, crunchier and add more nutritive value to the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...sounds scrumptiously tasty deepa..
    first time here..love your space..
    awesome cliks with interesting recipes..
    Am your happy follower now..;)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...