This is an easy way to whip up a quick snack or side dish and one of my favourite ways to eat chick peas.
In South India, we make this dish (Shundal or sundal in Tamil) during a festival or as an offering for a particular religious ceremony. But that's not to say you can't enjoy it anytime because it literally takes 5 minutes to put together. Very healthy too!
- 1 can cooked garbanzo beans
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 pinch asofoteda (hing)
- 2 Tbsp frozen fresh coconut
1. Heat 1 Tsp of vegetable oil till hot and add the urad dal. When it starts to brown, add the mustard seeds till it starts to pop. Add the curry leaves and hing.
2. Add the garbanzo beans and sautee for 5 minutes.
3. Finish off with the coconut and turn off the heat. Salt to taste.
You could totally add a green or red chill but I like mine without.