Friday, April 20, 2012
For all you rice lovers out there, here is a uniquely south indian mixed rice recipe that is super easy to put together and tastes delicious! All it takes is a few spices, super delicious tomatoes and some rice. And bonus if the rice is leftover from the previous day!
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (my favourite kind of tomatoes) or you could use any kind of fresh tomato.
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts (optional)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- pinch of asofoetida (optional)
- 1/2 tsp channa dal
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- few cilantro leaves for garnish
Masala (Spice Blend):
- 1 Tbsp coriander seed
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp channa dal
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1. In a large sautee pan, heat 1 Tbsp oil and add mustard seeds, urad dal , channa dal. When they start to turn golden brown, add the onions and the turmeric and asofoetida. Sweat the onions for a few minutes.
2. Grind all the spices in the Masala blend in a spice grinder. This is crucial to a very flavourful dish. I'm usually too lazy to grind spices all the time, but every once in a while, I give in .... :-)
3. Once the onions have sweated it out, add the tomato paste, mix for a bit and then add the fresh masala you made in step 2. Add salt.
4. Finally, add the rice and mix well and turn off the heat. Garnish with cilantro.
at 1:58 PM