Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Semiya Payasam




Anyone who knows me well knows that I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I will eat a few select milk based sweets and the occassional cake type dessert.

This is a traditional South Indian milk based dessert that's really easy to make and taste so good. To maximize taste and texture, use whole milk and some evaporated milk. Half and half is even better if you're not very calorie conscious. It takes only 20 minutes or so and you can sweeten is as much as you'd like. Here's my loosey goosey recipe:

Ingredients:

-  1/2 cup dried semiya/vermicelli noodles
-  2 Tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
-   4 cups of whole milk
-  1/2 can of 2% evaporated milk (4oz)
-  1/4 cup sugar (or more)
-  6 strands of saffron
-  1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Method:

1.  In a saucepan, roast the vermicelli noodles in the clarified butter for 5-10 minutes on low medium heat until the noodles turn slightly brown

2.  Add the milk and evaporated milk and saffron to the pan and gently bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and then add the sugar and mix.

3.  Once noodles are cooked, turn off the heat and add vanilla. This is my own twist on the payasam. I've been critiqued a couple times saying it tastes like "cookies" but whatever. I like it and the little dude digs it too.

4. Pour yourself a bowl and enjoy. It tastes best when consumed warm. I once made a huge batch for a party and then actually forgot to serve it for dessert (imagine that..) No REALLY. I FORGOT. It was entirely unintentional. R, Lil D and I proceeded to have it for breakfast for 3 days straight. Not a bad thing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...