Thursday, October 15, 2015
Green Beans Paruppusili
This is a simple South Indian side dish that is every mom's dream- combines veggies and protein (paruppu- lentils). It's basically cooked green beans combined with a lentil "crumble". If your family loves green beans and you're not inclined to make a separate dal or protein dish, this work great with rasam or kozhambu served with rice.
- 1 pound of chopped green beans. Fresh is best, stay away from frozen.
- 1/3 cup toor+moong dal soaked.
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 tbsp grated fresh coconut (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin or curry powder
- a pinch of hing
- tadka- urad dal, mustard seeds and curry leaves
- Let the dal soak in water for an hour.
- Grind it up coarsely with red chillies and a bit of salt and the hing
- Add a tablespoon oil to a hot skillet and cook the green beans till al dente. Add the ground up dal mixture and let it continue to cook to completion.
- Season with a bit of salt and grated coconut as desired.
- Tadka with appropriate ingredients and mix.
A very similar preparation can also be used with cabbage, broccoli.
at 8:24 AM