It's been a longtime dream of mine to make homemade gnocchi. From Scratch. I've seen it made multiple times on TV and it didn't look too hard. Then again, those TV food people make it look so easy.
Except, it really was that easy.
I followed Giada's recipe for making gnocchi for no particular reason. I have several of her recipes on my Pinterest board so I just went with it.
While the end result didn't turn out quite as pillowy and soft as I would have liked, it made for a really tasty first attempt.
- 1 russet potato
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- parmesan to taste
- 2 sprigs rosemary chopped fine
- 1/2 cup butter melted (for the sauce)
1. Cook the butter over a medium flame in a large skillet for a few minutes and add the rosemary. Set aside to add finished gnocchi later.
2. Pierce potato with a fork and cook all the way through in a microwave or in a pot of water. Cut the potato in half and scoop out all the flesh leaving the skin behind.
3. Dump on the countertop and add an egg, salt and the flour and gently knead till the dough comes together.
4. Portion the dough into medium sized balls and roll it out into a long thin rope.
5. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into one inch pieces and cook in large pot of salted boiling water until the gnocchi rises to the surface, about one minute.
6. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the gnocchi to the butter/rosemary sauce and toss and serve.