Sorry for the cheesy title :grin:
I was getting tired of the one quinoa creation - Upma I blogged about earlier. Since just about any dish can take on a Mexican avatar, I thought why not quinoa. Around the same time I learnt about this recipe posted on my running forum. So this is a take on B's recipe.
Quinoa with Black Beans
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup quinoa, dry roasted
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 jalapeno chopped or 1 tsp cayenne (depends on how hot you like)
- 1 cup corn, frozen, or can
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup salsa
I know it looks like a really long list of ingredients but a lot of it is seasoning so you could do any combination of the spices and it will still taste excellent.
I prefer to cook the quinoa separately and then mix to sauteed ingredients.
- Bring broth to a boil, add quinoa and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan, sautee onion, red pepper, garlic, spices, jalapeno.
- Mix in corn and the quinoa and black beans and cook for 5 minutes till everything is combined well
- Turn off heat and add in the cilantro and lemon juice